Train to Teach
ITT Lead: Sally Walsh
Audience: Initial Teacher Trainees
Waterton Academy Trust offers a PGCE Initial Teacher Training with our partnership lead Leeds Trinity University. We aim for outstanding standards of training enabling future teachers to have an excellent start to their teaching careers. We provide an environment in which trainee teachers feel valued and supported.
Our partnership of schools comprises of a range of settings within the Wakefield and Barnsley District area. Our schools have an excellent track record of working with ITT partners over numerous years. Trainees have the opportunity to work in the majority of the schools within our Trust, with further academic study at Leeds Trinity University. Our schools offer a range of expertise in both early years and primary teaching. Additional enhancement experiences are also provided throughout the year.
The advantage of the School Based route is that the greatest proportion of time is spent within schools. All our training is delivered bespoke to Waterton by our School Improvement Team and current practitioners at our Centre for Excellence at Walton.
All our mentors receive mandatory training delivered by Leeds Trinity University during each placement phase, to ensure compliance, consistency and the highest of standards.
The core curriculum domains are;
Curriculum and Subject Knowledge
Planning and Teaching
- To provide a stimulating and supportive environment in which trainees become enthusiastic, reflective and knowledgeable teachers
- To optimise trainees’ chances of embarking upon a successful career in education
- Proven track record of bringing teachers into the profession through high quality Initial Teacher Training
- Expertise and enthusiasm across our Academy in the professional development of trainees
- Opportunities for trainees to learn about and experience the special features of each partner school
- Benefits of studying with Leeds Trinity University
- Masters level PGCE and Qualified Teacher Status
- Experienced mentors and tutors who provide personalised support across the placements
- Support with finding a post either within the partnership or beyond.
Schools work with Leeds Trinity in the process of interviewing and selecting candidates who must meet our standard entry requirements:
- First degree from a UK Higher Education Institution at 2:2 or above, or equivalent qualification
- A standard equivalent to a grace C in the GCSE examinations in English Language, Mathematics and Science
- A good understanding of issues in education
How to Apply
To apply for our primary 3-7 course please further the link below
To apply for our primary 5-11 course please further the link below
For further information
Please contact Sally Walsh: email@example.com